Date: July 25, 2019
Description: Revised and Updated Booklets and Rescissions
The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) today issued a fully revised "Corporate and Risk Governance" booklet of the Comptroller's Handbook. In addition, the OCC is issuing an updated "Internal and External Audits" booklet of the Comptroller's Handbook with changes that are more limited in scope.
Refer to the "Foreword" booklet of the Comptroller's Handbook for more information regarding the OCC's process for revising and updating booklets.
The "Corporate and Risk Governance" and the "Internal and External Audits" booklets replace the booklets of the same titles issued in 2016 and rescind the following: OCC Bulletin 2016-25, "Corporate and Risk Governance: New Comptroller's Handbook Booklet and Rescissions," and OCC Bulletin 2016-47, "Internal and External Audits: Revised Comptroller's Handbook Booklet and Rescissions." These OCC bulletins transmitted the previous versions of the booklets.
Note for Community Banks
These booklets apply to the examination of all national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches and agencies of foreign banking organizations (collectively, banks).
The revised and updated booklets
- reflect relevant OCC issuances and auditing standards published since these booklets were last issued.
- reflect the integration of federal savings associations into certain regulations.
- include clarifying edits regarding supervisory guidance, sound risk management practices, or legal language.
- clarify the duties and responsibilities of the bank's board and management. The board is responsible for overseeing the activities of a bank, and management is responsible for implementing the appropriate actions.
- revises certain content for general clarity.
The revised "Corporate and Risk Governance" booklet was also reorganized for clarity. Additionally, certain sections of the examination procedures were removed and replaced with cross-references to more comprehensive examination procedures in other booklets.
Contact Lazaro Barreiro, Director for Governance and Operational Risk Policy, at (202) 649-6550.
Grovetta N. Gardineer
Senior Deputy Comptroller for Bank Supervision Policy