OCC Bulletin 2019-44| September 30, 2019
Comptroller’s Handbook Examination Process Series: Updated Booklets and Rescissions
Chief Executive Officers of All National Banks, Federal Savings Associations, and Federal Branches and Agencies; Department and Division Heads; All Examining Personnel; and Other Interested Parties
The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) today issued updates to the "Bank Supervision Process," "Community Bank Supervision," "Federal Branches and Agencies Supervision," and "Large Bank Supervision" booklets of the Comptroller's Handbook. Updates to Comptroller's Handbook booklets are summarized in the "Table of Updates Since Publication" in the back of each booklet. Refer to the "Foreword" booklet of the Comptroller's Handbook for more information regarding the OCC's process for updating booklets.
The updated booklets replace the booklets of the same titles previously issued and rescind the following:
|OCC Bulletin 2016-13, "Communications Technology: Guidance for Banks' Maintenance of Records, Records Retention, and Examiner Access"||Incorporated into appendix B of the "Bank Supervision Process" booklet|
|Office of Thrift Supervision Examination Handbook section 360, appendix B, "Questions and Answers—Examination Obstruction"||Replaced by appendix B of the "Bank Supervision Process" booklet|
|OCC Bulletin 2019-11, "Report of Examination: FFIEC Policy and Rescissions"||The "Report of Examination" section of the "Bank Supervision Process" booklet was updated for consistency with the interagency policy statement (see attachment to this bulletin)|
|"Overview" booklet in the Consumer Compliance series of the Comptroller's Handbook||Replaced by the "Compliance Management Systems" booklet and the Examination Process series of booklets of the Comptroller's Handbook.|
Note for Community Banks
The "Bank Supervision Process" and "Community Bank Supervision" booklets apply to the OCC's supervision of community banks.
The updated booklets reflect the following:
- The interim final rule for the expanded supervisory cycle. Refer to OCC Bulletin 2018-27, "Expanded Examination Cycle Eligibility: Interim Final Rule."
- An updated OCC report of examination policy based on the revised Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council report of examination policy.
- Information about the OCC's authority to access banks' books and records.
- Revision of the OCC's enforcement action policies. Refer to OCC Bulletin 2018-41, "OCC Enforcement Action Policies and Procedures Manuals."
- The revised "Capital and Dividends" booklet of the Comptroller's Handbook.
- Updates to the OCC's credit underwriting assessment.
- Changes to references to include new issuances and to reflect rescissions of OCC issuances since June 28, 2018.
Contact Sarah Williams, National Bank Examiner and Core Policy Analyst, at (202) 649-6770.
Grovetta N. Gardineer
Senior Deputy Comptroller for Bank Supervision Policy